Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Learning and Teaching

One thing we do often in our home is listen to Pandora. If given the chance, my kids like to choose one of the Walt Disney stations. When I was making dinner (mac and cheese with Brussels sprouts), a Tarzan song played with this quote:

“In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn.”
~ Phil Collins

And I was standing at the stove whisking my roux and thinking, "YES!"

I think this must be true in most aspects of life, but when I became a mother, I never expected to learn so much from my children. (I don't know why it didn't occur to me how much they would teach me, because when I was a therapist, I was continually amazed at the depth of the statements some children would make.)

When I was first contemplating these words, I was mainly thinking of homeschool. Homeschool has taught me so much about myself AND my kids. What works for us and what doesn't. What to say to those who discourage homeschool. How it is such a blessing to have this opportunity to teach my children at home. But then I realized that these words are directly applicable to my life in general. Every day, when I pray, I pray to set a good example for my children, to teach them how to love, to pray, to respect, to write their names, to brush their teeth, etc. I also pray that others see Jesus shining through me. (Some moments are better than others.) What an honor it would be to teach someone about Christ's love just by being me. By being kind. By sharing a smile or a hug. By whispering when I want to shout. By doing what is right for my children....myself....my family....

Now I am thinking about being a student. I've always been quite eager, academically. My love of learning has never stopped. I still enjoy my books and pursing knowledge, but I have learned that "learning" means so much more! I would say that LIFE is one big lesson!

We're people. Don't we all learn from one another, each and every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment